Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a humminbird 200DX fishfinder/depth finder which has

Customer Question

I have a humminbird 200DX fishfinder/depth finder which has worked for years. This year it started misbehaving: the depth number jumped all over the place continously--50 feet, 10 feet, 24 feet and so forth. It has a transom sender so I cleaned that off. Since my boat is a sailboat the sender is behind the prop (quite a way--but still behind) so I thought that might be the problem. But the problem persisted even when the boat is stationary with the engine off.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The marine electronics specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the marine electronics specialist should know?
Customer: In the past, with Raymarine products, when we couldn't diagnose a problem, I sent the equipment to the Raymarine office in New Hampshire and they diagnosed and repaired it there. Does Humminbird do the same?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I advise you to clean, not the transom-mounted transceiver, but rather the connections from it, to the Humminbird device.

Trace the whole system through, the lines that is, from the tranceiver on the transom-mount, to the Humminbird device..

For each connection, undo it, then brush each side of the connector with a clean dry brush, for 20 + seconds each, then wipe down each side of the connector with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect firmly, then go on to the next connection and do the same brush-and-wipe for all connectors and connections along the entire system (with the power Off, of course.)

This is a treatment for corrosion. Which happens often and threatens the proper operation of all electronic equipment and connections in a maritime or lake-going or riparian environment.

Let me know how it goes, please. Thanks... I hope you will see improved performance.