Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

I have a 2004 Sweetwater pontoon boat with a Yamaha TLR-50

Customer Question

Hello
The ignition was acting flaky in that it would not sometimes it would not start (no power) and other times it would not shut off.
It has a Yamaha 704 control, so I bought a new ignition assembly.and installed.
Now it will not start - no turn over - completely dead.
Battery is charged up, the navigation & docking lights work, and i can use the trim tilt AT THE ENGINE ONLY - no trim tilt at the 704 control.
Also, although the nav & docking lights work, there is no power coming to the gauges.
Where would I begin the troubleshooting?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I'm Tan. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and will reply momentarily.

Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Have you checked the engine fuse?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
where is that located? The helm station has a row of breakers none are popped
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll run down & check now
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok. It is a 20 amp fuse.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tan -I checked the fuse - it tests OKMaybe you can give me a list of things to look for so I can test when Im at the boat
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok first lets verify the engine runs. Locate the start relay disconnect the brown wire going to the relay apply 12 volts to the brown wire on the relay with key on. Be sure you have water connected to the engine. Does engine start and run?

If no then we need to test for voltage at the battery and the start relay.

If engine runs then we need to check for voltage at the red wire on the key switch.

Post back with findings.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no brown wire at the relay.I bypassed the relay, put 12V onto the starter & it cranks
This is a pain in the ass as my boat is still in the water- I have to hang my 56 year old body over the back of the boat.The red wire at the ignition switch is capped off - always has been.So, I'm getting voltage to the nav & docking lights
voltage from the battery to the starter when jumped
None of the gauges turn on when the key is turned on
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

The nav lights and the boat accessories have nothing to do with the engine or the gauges they are on a different circuit. Do you have voltage on any of the wires at the key switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The ignition switch connections are an 8 pin barrel connector, with blue, red, green, white pink, brown, yellow, black
and 3 push connector wires yellow, green, black - the red is capped off.Where should I connect my meter to test?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

It should be the red wire but you say it is capped off. So you have no red on the key switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a red wire on the 8 pin connector- I'm guessing to measure from the black to red on this connector?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Do you have 12 volts on any wire at the key switch. You must have voltage at the key switch to power up gauges and start the engine. All we need to know is do you have 12 volts?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll try to test on Wednesday
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello TanTested for voltage at the battery & keyswitch
Battery read 12.4
keyswitch connector read 11.6Could this be a neutral safety issue?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

That wouldn't explain the gauges not working. When you turn key on do you have voltage to any of the other terminals?

Then when you turn key to crank position do you have voltage to any terminals?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Which terminals should I be checking?
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

It doesn't matter I just want to see if you are getting voltage to any of the terminals.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I tested this morning, there is a heavy gauge wire connector that goes to the row of breakers, there is voltage there and across all of the breakers - there is voltage at the large barrel connector for the keyswitch, and voltage at the small white barrel connector that connects to the keyswitch harness - all of this was tested with the keyswitch in the off position - which probably wouldn't matter once the large barrel connector is disconnected to test
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

You have to use a piercing probe to do load test on the key switch wiring. We must test voltage on all wires with key in on position loading the circuit and with key in crank position loading the start circuit.

I think you have a voltage issue as you should have the same voltage at the key switch as the battery. So you have a bad connection on the hot side or a bad ground.

Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.

You should have white, black,pink, red and brown to key switch. We need voltage at the red all the time. Voltage on pink key on and voltage to the pink and brown when cranking.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Tan - I would like to work with a different expert
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name Is***** am another expert here.

There is no TLR-50 model engine. Is this engine a 50TLR, or is it an F50TLR? I need to know if it's a two or a 4 stroke.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Jason - We have worked in the past
It is a 50TLR
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2 Stroke
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Good morning. I read what you and Tan talked about One thing I don't see is how many wires you have at the key switch and what color they are. Can you tell me what color wires you have on the key switch presently.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Looking at the back of the black barrel connector, from right to left,
Blue, Red, Green
White, Pink, Brown
Yellow, Black
There is also a pigtail that has Red (Capped Off), Black, Green, Yellow.
From The Buzzer - Yellow/Brown stripe, Pink/Brown stripe
From the Lanyard Safety - White & Black
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Got it. What do you show for power on the red wire at the key switch?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is where I'm stuck - I don't have a set of piercing probe - I'll have them on Monday.
However, when I disconnect the black barrel connector, I read around 11.6V from the red to black pins.
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a small sewing needle?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can get that - what should I measure?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Pierce that red wire with your sewing needle and stick your red meter lead on that. Then take your negative meter lead and run that to a good ground. Make 2 measurements, the first with the key in the off position, the 2nd with the key turned to RUN. Let me know what you get for both readings.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK I'll be back in a while to let you know
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Okay no problem, let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
JasonI'll have to pick this up on Friday
Can you advise what the measurements should be with the keyswitch on and off?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK Here's what I have
Meter connected to Red wire at ignition switch & ground reads .6vdc key off & .0004vdc key on
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Got it. You said you checked the fuse already, did you just look at it or did you check for power at the fuse? Do you show any power at the fuse?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I checked the fuse at the engine for continuity - tested OK - I can retest for power tomorrowWhats strange is that when I disconnect the black 8-pin connector at the keyswitch, it reads 12vdc on the red pin , when I re-connected it to the keyswitch & pierced the red insulation, I get the .6vdc reading
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hmmm That would indicate a poor connection. What kind of connector is there, is it a bullet style connector, or more of a molded plastic plug?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
8 pin molded plug - this pic is from the switch I replaced
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Are you able to cut both red wires out of that plug and then use a butt style connector to join the two back together?

Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.

Hello, just checking in. Any progress?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello JasonI towed the boat out of the lake and have it under wraps for now.
Can we continue in the spring? I know its a long time.
Expert:  Jason replied 5 months ago.

Of course, there are never any time limits here.