Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

I have a furuno AIS receiver. How do i integrate a

Customer Question

I have a furuno AIS receiver. How do i integrate a transmitter
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.
Customer: As I typed I need to get an AIS transmitter to go along with my AIS receiver that I've a few years
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Marine Electronics Specialist should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

Expert:  Rusty replied 1 month ago.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I didn't see a solution that you offered.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Different expert here.

I see your question has been posted here for a few days, and I believe you "didn't see a solution" offered because there is no "simple solution" to "integrate a transmitter" into an AIS receiver.

What needs to happen, assuming you want to "do it right" is to REPLACE the receiver ONLY with a "Transponder/Transceiver".

I assume from your question that you may be "on a tight budget", but if you were trying to find an AIS transmitter ONLY, to cost of having such a system would probably be about the same or MORE than simply replacing the receiver with a transponder.

You MAY already have all this information, but please let me give you a couple of link that explain the difference between transceiver/transponders and Receiver ONLY systems. The first is "short and sweet", and the second is VERY detailed.

Short & Sweet Link --> Click Here

DETAILED link --> Click here.

NOTE: Since this is really a "safety item" - in most cases, try to get the BEST QUALITY unit for your situation. "Going cheap" could cost you (and your passengers) their life!

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Take Good Care & Be Safe Out There, Greg A.

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,

It looks like I forgot to include a link to some commonly available transponders - at least via Amazon. Let me send that link below.

"AIS Transponder" search results (Amazon) --> Click link below

http://amzn.to/2eSIeP7

The purpose of the link is to give you a REFERENCE to look at what might be available for purchase AND the cost. Of course anything you see online does NOT include installation, and you would need to install the system with your own labor and such.

Another suggestion - especially if you are trying to keep costs down:

If you have a "regular place" where you have maintenance of this type done on your vessel, you MAY want to "make a deal" with them were you "get some credit" toward the cost of a transponder by "trading in" the receiver in the deal. I only mention this because many shops that do this kind of installation and maintenance have other customers that have been looking for or need ONLY the receiver, and the shop could "resell" that unit to them.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions about these AIS systems.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (5-star is my goal) so that I get credit for my time helping you with this question.
You should see some "stars" (and SUBMIT button) to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to REFRESH your screen) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)