Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

Have a furuno 585 with 11kw transducer though hull has been

Customer Question

Have a furuno 585 with 11kw transducer though hull
has been working fine but over the past several times whilst out fishing in about 10-50 mtrs of water is has stop reading and the screen has been turning on upside down
also have thick brown/black lines appearing on screen
last time wouldn't read just green patches of nothing only showing a depth of 90cm to about 1.2mtrs
could you possibly help out with your thoughts
and also what should be inside wet box transducer
i have heard to use coolant or salt water
getting very confused
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The screen coming out upside down does not seem to me to be the fault of the transducer at all.

Add to that, lines on the screen... and I think it is fair to say, you almost certainly have a defective Furuno 585.

It will need repair or replacemnt. This sort of thing is not likely to be a transducer fault at all.

But the transducer might be improved by having its connection checked, cleaned, and re-seated. Ask me for directions if you're interested in trying this in a manner that is likely to be effective.