Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

I have o boat with hds 10 gen 2 and just bought a hds 3 gen

Customer Question

I have o boat with hds 10 gen 2 and just bought a hds 3 gen 9 I have fitted a point one,xi5 salt water,structer and side scan sonar,2d sonar.
I want to use the hds10 for all Nav and maping the hds 9 for all things sonar plus 3D when I get it,I have a Nma 2000 fitted could you tell me how to set up please also the point 1 how do I reset it as I think it flattering the battery
Thanks
Grant
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What device is the 'Point 1', please? an autocompass, or some other device?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lowrance point one

OK. To reset a Lowrance Point One is hard to do, since it is an antenna. But try this:

unplug the Point One from the NMEA backbone and plug it back in.
Immediately following this begin turning your boat, in a slow circle. The completion of one circle initiates the calibration process, and a second should complete it.

Does the Point-1 now show a heading?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Russell
That's the point one
What I want to know is will these two head units work the way I have them setup

If the HDS10 can handle the GPS functions and mapping, then the HDS9 can handle the sonar/3D-sonar. Nothing wrong with that, that I can see.

Provided that each one is connected to the appropriate transponder/antenna: HDS10 to GPS antenna, HDS9 to sonar transponder.

Does this answer your question?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Being all going into the nmea2000 backbone will that sort it all out the two head units have a Ethernet cable between them

I'm not sure... do you mean, both HDS10 and HDS9 are hooked up to the NMEA backbone, and the sonar transponder is too, and the GPS antenna is too (...I would doubt that last - I don't think a GPS antenna could work that way. The GPS antenna should be hooked up to the HDS10 directly I think) - ?

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am checking in to see if you still needed assistance with the set up on your system.