Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.

I have a kohler 5ed that I just got rebuilt, spending a

Customer Question

I have a kohler 5ed that I just got rebuilt, spending a fortune on parts and labor. It ran great for 4 hours at the rebuild shop, then I installed it on the boat and it ran like a champ for another couple of hours Friday night. Then come the next day I got a LOC code (low coolant) looking up the code it says to check the seacock, and the impeller. Both are pumping water fine and the water flows through the boat out the exhaust, I still replaced the impeller just for a what if. I have read the manual and it states to check WIRE 215 to make sure it's not grounded. Where is wire 215 so I can make sure that it is not grounded. Please help.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Im looking that up for you now.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Before tearing into the boards on the engine, make sure that the true coolant level is full. On a cold engine, open the cap on the tank located on the engine, it should be full. Also look at the raw water pressure sensor. If it is clogged, it will also set the LOC code and stop the gen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
by the raw water switch are you talking about the fuel cooler box that the impeller pushes water through. That has been replaced. if there is another switch possibly GM30263 pressure switch I have already replaced that. I did open the cap and when did there was plenty of fluid in there.
Where is the raw water switch? I have just about taken this thing apart and ok with pulling it apart and finding the grounded wire if that is the issue. I just need to know what the location of the 215 wire that is suggested in the manual as a possible issue.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

The sensor is in the heat exchanger. It has two wires going to it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have replaced that and even bypassed it to find out if that was the issue. Is there anything else that you could think of that would give the LOC code?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a way to prime the unit to prevent any issues with the coolant?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Not that I am aware of on either account. I have read where the fuel solenoid would shut down and also throw this code. I know it is odd that the fuel would cause an LOC code, but it is all over the forums

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

What is the full model of the genset?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
kohler 5ecd