Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.

Can I use a Simrad IS20 display in place of a Simrad IS15

Customer Question

Can I use a Simrad IS20 display in place of a Simrad IS15 display?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.
Customer: The current IS15 multi display is bad and I am having difficult finding a replacement.
JA: Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What the answer to my question?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Due to the differences of how the two units communicate to the networks, the IS20 cannot replace the IS15. The 20 does not use the Roblink nor cant use the NMEA 0183 as an input. You would need to switch the input to either Simnet, or to NMEA 2000.