Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

II have an older round In dash depth sounder that don't

Customer Question

II have an older round In dash depth sounder that don't work . Can they be repaired? I will be waiting fir a reply think***@******.***
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.
Customer: I just bought this 1991ranger boat and the depth finder does not come on at all I have check the power to it from the switch and there is power to the unit.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Electronics Specialist should be aware of?
Customer: No nothing else I don't want to remove it and have a hole in the dash.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What make, or model, of depth finder is it?

Check its connection(s) to the power, and also especially to the sonar transponder. It must have a good connection to the sonar transponder for it to register anything much.

Corrosion is a factor. If you are willing to put a little effort into cleaning connections (to the power, and to the sonar transponder) I will instruct you how to go about doing so. Please let me know, by Reply To Expert, and I will advise you.