Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki

I have a C80 and my depth finder and speed display are not

Customer Question

Hi, I have a C80 and my depth finder and speed display are not working anymore.
I have jumped in the water and cleaned the transducer (it's clean ) and the flywheel is spinning nicely.
As far as I can tell the wiring is fine.
I have re-set the system and it still is not working.
I'm not sure what else to try.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that you have done most of what needs to be done for such a problem.

But I can think of one more thing to suggest trying - provided that it is appropriate to the nature of the problem. I need to ask, about that, just this:

- When you say the depth and the speed are not working any more, you mean that they read zero, or show no value, as opposed to that their entries are blank or otherwise defective, I would guess - but is that the case?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
They Show no value

OK. So the display has not disappeared, it's not a problem with the display device (presumably, as far as displaying goes anyway.) Just that the values don't seem to be getting to the device.

You said they are not working 'anymore'... so, then, you presumably had them working before this.

In which case, I think the connection, along the line from the transducer to the C80 display, should be disconnected, and the connectors on both sides cleaned, by scrubbing off with a clean dry brush for at least 20 seconds. Then both connectors on both sides, should be wiped down with a clean dry cloth until the metal shines.

Then re-connect firmly, power On the system, see if the depth and speed come from the transducer properly and are displayed OK.

- If they are, good, and a rating for my advice would be appreciated.

- If not, if the problem is unchanged, then aside from examining the wiring in detail along its entire length, for sharp bends, cuts, etc., and aside from thinking back as to whether the transducer has suffered any possible collision damage from grounding or bumping into a dock etc... then there is the question, as to what other devices are hooked up to the C80, and whether they seem to be communicating with it OK. And also, how old the C80 is, and how old the transducer that doesn't seem to be talking to it anymore, is -?

Let me know, please, once you have tried that - at your convenience, of course. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I tried another system reset, now my speed is working great.
Depth still is not registering. It's saying No Data Source for the Depth Finder.
I wonder if the wrong Transducer is selected in the Fishfinder Setup Menu. I can see the "Select Tranducer" in the menu but can't scroll down to it.

That's interesting. Try what I suggested too, about scrubbing then wiping both sides of the connector (with the power Off to the C80 and the system, of course.)

The connection may be being affected by the great enemy of all electronics (and a lot of the metals) on a boat, esp. in a maritime environment, but also in fresh-waters: corrosion. A little bit on the connector somewhere may be interfering with signal, bringing it just to the edge of detectability.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Russel, I will try your recommendation.

OK. When it is done, please let me know what happened - so that I can either claim credit, or advise you further. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You bet