Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Can you help answer garmin had 26 question.

Customer Question

Hi can you help answer garmin had 26 question.
Category: Marine Electronics
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am trying to hook up had 26 with two separate thru hill airmar b175 transducers. One is med freq and other is high. I need help with wiring instructions.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Hi Tom,

Could you please confirm the model numbers and what you are tying to hook up to where?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi, yes sorry. Autocorrect changes a few things. Let me start fresh.I received a refurbished marine Garmin GSD 26 chirp sounder for my boat. I have two thru-hull transducers installed (may have been done at factory build since boat is only 2014), both Airmar B175 chirp in a medium and high freq. but noticed that the previous sounder only had one med freq. transducer installed, but did not have the ground wire attached. I am looking to re-wire the whole system to make it work properly.Only detailed instruction for hooking up two freq is with sounder models that are dual chirp and have both high/low or high/medium in one device and cable package. unit has room and ports for two cable sets but there does not seem like anyone has run into my scenario before on the internet.Two issues that i see is there is no clear instruction on how to wire the XID's (orange wire) of both sounders or whether this is an acceptable pair to match with the GSD 26, and two, I am not sure how to wire the ground terminal(s) to the outer bare shield since that is installed (or whether I would ground both transducer wires to the sounder since there are two ground terminals available). I have an inner bare and outer bare wire, but not shielding wire and the shielding on the transducer cable is more of a blue plastic and not metallic. .
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.

Ok, let me check if the other experts can assist with this...