Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

I purchased a 541 fish finder along with the unit that shows

Customer Question

I purchased a 541 fish finder along with the unit that shows speed and temperature. I mounted both on the rear of a Smokercraft pontoon boat on the factory mount. Initially the speed and temp unit worked but the sonar did not. When I changed the views I could get a momentary flash of the correct depth by sonar. I tried the suggested remedy of unplugging and re-pluging the unit in. Now all I can get is the initial screen that shows Normal but it seems locked and I can't find a way to get beyond it. I have ordered a cord to connect to my computer to get it's system updated. Any other suggestions or do I have a defective unit?
Category: Marine Electronics
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I connected the unit directly to the battery not the boats ignition system.
Expert:  Michael replied 4 months ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

This is a defective main head unit.

I know these well. Also I have repaired many myself.

I did some checking and a few of these had the same problem . Even right out of the package.

The problem is a failed IC, called an EPROM, they will just replace the unit free of charge to you as yours is still under the manufacturers warranty.

How long ago did you purchase this unit ?

And where did you get it from?

Thank you

Tech Michael