Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.
67216606

I cannot get the model 688 ci Hd to show fish on display

Customer Question

I cannot get the model 688 ci Hd to show fish on display screen: HELP
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Inspect the transducer and make sure that it is mounted level with the bottom of the boat, and is flat, not tilted in any direction. Inspect the wiring from the transducer to the unit. Make sure there are not any nicks or cuts in it. Check the plug at the unit looking for bent or broken pins. finally, with the boat on its trailer, turn the unit on, feel and listen to the transducer. If it is not clicking, replace it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
why do you thinks it's the transducer when the self-test passes all the tests?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

The test will just tell you that one is connected, not if it functions.

Are you getting depth readings?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am getting depth readings, it also shows the bottom. when I turned on the fish finder we did not hear beeping or any kind of sound being emitted. it still will not show any fish
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

Which screen are you on? Just sonar or the Down image?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
which screen should I be on to show fish?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

The down will show fish, but they will appear as dots. The standard 2d screen will show arches.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sir have you ever gone fishing and used a Hummingbird model 688 ciHD?
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

I install and test these units. I am familiar with the operation of them.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
can you please give me step by step directions to start over and set up the fish finder like it was new again? Hopefully, this might correct any steps that I have missed. thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.

go into the menu, select the Settings tab. Scroll down to the Restore Defaults. Say yes on the screen. Go through the set up, again. Make sure to select Advanced User, to open all the options.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will be taking my boat to a lake in the next day or two to try out the fish finder and see if it works. I will be happy to rate you once I have tried your suggestions.
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The exact model is 688 ci hd di, serial # 15030301-0022. The setting that you wanted me to check is in the advanced mode. Further investigation has determined even in the simulation mode no fish icons are displayed on the screen. How do I correct that problem?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

Turn on your Fish Id alarm, from the alarms tab, then place the unit into Simulator, if you do not get any alarms from it there. Make sure that it is registered on Humminbird.com, then run a software update on the unit.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do I do a software update and do I need any hardware to do that? if so where do I get the hardware?
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.

You need a blank SD card and a computer that can read it. Or a card reader. Go to Humminbird web site then under your account, locate the update. Download it to the card. With the 688 on, insert the card and allow it to run.