Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki

260 Mercruiserm 1987, always garaged 350 hours on it. Always

Customer Question

260 Mercruiserm 1987, always garaged 350 hours on it. Always maintained. Will not come out of forward or reverse unless you pull it beyond neutral. You have to pull the lock release and pull it beyond neutral. Had a tech look at it. Said the cables are all good since I had it replaced about 50 hours ago. The switch that stops the engine for an instant is working. Your tech said to check the oil in the lower unit. I did and it looked new. It was about half a pint less than the amount I put back in. Anything else.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Tan replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The shift interrupt switch is what stalls the engine momentarily so you can get the engine out of gear.

In the pic here where the red arrows move this lever when engine is running does engine stall?