Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki

I plan on mounting a gas strut mount, I am a little nervous

Customer Question

I plan on mounting a gas strut mount, I am a little nervous drill into my fiberglass and was wondering if you could share some tips. I read several important tips 1) use tape over the area the drilling will take place 2) use a small drill bit 1/16 and drill in reverse mode. To mount my #10 screws , I plan to use a 5/32 drill bit. If you could provide any other tips that I should follow in order for me to eliminate spider cracks I would greatly appreciate it,,
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with.

There are a couple of things you have to pay attention to. Spider cracks isn't really what you have to worry about initially, what you have to worry about is the initial chipping you might get on the gel coat, and then you have to worry about tear out. Don't worry about tape, or running a bit in reverse. Just make a mark in pencil and use a sharp 1/8th drill bit to drill you pilot hole. After that, having the write type of drill bit is what will make the biggest difference. Drill bits come in 2 major tip angle choices 118 degree and 135. Either will work, but using a 118 degree bit will give you better results. When drilling you want to use a medium/high drill speed (about 2000 rpms) and use firm pressure. After that, after you drill your hole, use a countersink bit just to cut through the gel coat. This will help prevent spider cracks from popping up in the future.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you

Expert:  Jason replied 3 months ago.

It looks like you read my reply without putting through a rating for me. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me, but they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you out if no rating is put through. If you have a problem with the ratings box or can not see it please let me know.