Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Just bought a 2015 boat with simrad nss evo 12 and 9 models.

Customer Question

just bought a 2015 boat with simrad nss evo 12 and 9 models. the 12 is on the center console flush mounted and the 9 is in the tower flush mounted. the 9 receives a gps signal but the 12 keeps giving me that gps error message. I Know this has been working! whats going on?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Your 12 model may have lost its GPS antenna connection.

Trace the cables/wires from the 12 model to the GPS antenna. Make sure there are no breaks or cuts.

Turn Off the system (12 model and GPS antenna.)

Then disconnect each connection, on the way to the GPS antenna, one at a time. Scrub each connector on each side with a clean dry brush, for 20 seconds or more. Then wipe down the connectors on each side until the metal shines. Then re-connect firmly, and on to the next connector (if there is more than one).

Then try the 12 model again.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has an internal gps antenna

Then unfortunately it needs servicing. I don't think there's any other conclusion possible - unless it is in an enclosed space with a lot of metal above and about it, and no open view in any direction.

(If there's a windshield on one side of it, try taking the boat out, do a *slow* 'compass circle', and see if the 12 model gets GPS signal at any point of the circle. If it doesn't, it may need an external antenna that can be put within view of the open sky... or it may need to be service-repaired, more likely... esp. if it never gets signal at all at any point in a slow 4-minute or longer circle.)

If you would like to know where to take it for repair-servicing, let me know your local zip code, please.