Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a marine unit echoMAP 50s and connected a depth

Customer Question

I have a marine unit echoMAP 50s and connected a depth sounder transducer Airmar Model P79 which is an in-hull transducer.
When I power up the echoMap, I get the message "Unsupported Transducer" and no depth readout.
The echoMap 50s is ID(###) ###-####and the software version is 2.80.
Can I use the transducer with the echoMap with some software changes? If so, how do I do it?
Thanks,
Joe Gibbons
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The Garmin echoMAP 50s is stated to be compatible with any Garmin Panoptix™, any HD-ID™, any CHIRP-enabled, Garmin DownVü™ transducer or NMEA 2000®-compatible depth transducer.

The Airmar model P79 is stated to be an 'entry-level' transducer. In other words, it is kind of basic, a 600 Watt sounder with no frills aside from its adaptability to various mounting angles.

I suspect that you simply speaking have an incompatible transducer. (Or doubtfully, a 'broken' transducer.) The Garmin echoMAP 50s won't work with it for that reason.