Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I HAVE a st-8002 control head and the compas dial froze and

Customer Question

i HAVE a st-8002 control head and the compas dial froze and i can no longer dial my headings in auto mode. Is this problem fixable.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That dial, if frozen up, is probably corroded in one of its metallic linkages, by splashes of sea water (at a guess) or sea spray; such salty or brackish water or spray is very corrosive.

It may be the dial had a seal protecting the spindle/workings, that broke, letting corrosive saline or brackish water in, also.

The whole dial's basis will have to be replaced, at minimum, I suspect. Especially if the problem has gone on for some time... if it just happened recently and not when tried after a long interval, then it might perhaps be un-stuck by applying some penetrating oil. But, if you try this, do it with the works of the device open, and be careful not to get such oil anywhere else, where it could damage other components considerably over time.

Or you could simply have a Raymarine repair shop replace the dial's potentiometer (or whatever part is causing the dial to not turn.)

How old is the Raymarine device in question, also?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The unit is used in fresh water only. The helm is protected by a hard top. I've owned the boat since new and the unit has never been wet. The control dial is locked up and I don't want to damage the dial knob.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The unit is over ten years old. Used extensively.

OK. Dismounting it from its place, and taking it to a Raymarine service center - if you think it is still worth the expense of repair - would be the thing to do.

If you need the location of a Raymarine service center near you, please tell me your zip code, and I will look it/them up for you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Thanks. I'm looking that information up for you...

There are 3 repair locations in that zip code region:

Phone(###) ###-####/p>

Phone(###) ###-####/p>

Phone(###) ###-####/p>

I hope one of these can help you with the problem.

If you are done with this case, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.