Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a 597ci hd di and the GPS and down imaging are

Customer Question

I have a 597ci hd di and the GPS and down imaging are working fine but the sonar is not showing anything. The depth, water temp and speed show up and work when I'm on a sonar screen but the sonar is blank. I have reset the defaults a number of times and no results.
Thanks for your help.
Jim
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 10 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Is the depth reading correct? or is it merely getting figures off the charts, for the current position?

How do you know the down imaging is working fine? it sounds as if either a sonar transponder is offline or damaged or disconnected... one of two perhaps, if the imaging is 3-D imaging using two transponders... or as if the 597 isn't interpreting the info from the transponders correctly.

Whether you have one transponder for sonar, or two, I advise checking the cables first, along their entire length between the 597 and the sonar transponders, for cuts breaks severe bending and so forth... then undoing connections (with power Off to the system) one at a time, scrubbing the connectors on both sides of the connection for at least 20 seconds with a clean dry brush, then wiping both sides with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connecting firmly... and on to the next connector in the line(s).

Then try the system again.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a Lakemaster card in the unit that shows the depth and that's why I'm thinking the down imaging is working ok. They Humminbird 597 has pin connectors and I have checked both sides of the connection pins look clean and not bent.

It doesn't matter if they look clean (though it is good if they are not bent.)

The connectors along the line(s) to the sonar transponder(s) are what is vital, if there is anything wrong with sonar imaging.

The procedure I outlined may sound tedious, but it has to be done every 1/2 year or so, or fairly often. Corrosion is a constant danger to electronic communication lines, especially in a maritime environment what with saline spray, but even in brackish water or fresh water it still matters a lot to do maintenance against it.