Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.

Got a helix 7 from Cabella's in Bay Wi. Got all the stuff

Customer Question

Got a helix 7 from Cabella's in Green Bay Wi. Got all the stuff down loaded and put the chip in the machine. The problem I'm having is I turn the unit on it goes through it's start up I go to the screen I want and as soon as it gets a gps fix it shuts off. This is my third unit in about 6 months I'm not liking hummingbird right now, first two units locked up after just a couple hours of use. Cabellas went good on the new unit but it required the different sized Navionics chip for downloading info, another 2 hundo. All I want to do is fish and use my damn electronics! What's up.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

I have a question back for you. Every time that you used a new head unit, was everything else the same, meaning the power supply and the transducer and possibly a network connection. If so, try this. Replace the power cord, making sure that the connections are clean and tight. If you have to put a ring terminal or a connector on them, make sure that it is properly crimped. then try the unit with just the power to it and nothing else. If it will now power up, it was just a bad power supply.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I believe the unit may be getting too much power after reading a troubleshooting q&a. I'm supposed to have an in line fuse at 3amps and I do not have one in there
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

That will not reduce the power going in, that will protect the unit from a short. Do you have a multimeter to test the power to the unit?

It is not connected to a 24 or a 36V trolling motor power is it?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No it's on the starting battery the only new wire l had to run was for the transducer. This isn't my first rodeo either as I've been fishing and using electronics for many years. The manual says to have at least 10 amps to the unit wouldn't that blow a 3 amp fuse? Anyway I'm scratching my head here. It's not a loss of power either because I can turn the unit right back on every time
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

The unit needs at least 10V in order to turn on, and no more than 16V. the 3A is like the fuses under the dash of the boat. even if you can turn it right back on, if you have an older boat, or a long wire run, you do lose some of the power potential that the unit would see. You could always, remove the power supply from where it is installed, then take it back to the battery. Hook it right to the battery and see if the unit would then power on correctly. If it does, you have a supply issue in the boat.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sounds good I'll give that a shot
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Let me know what you find on that.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sure will, I agree that it is something very subtle Thanks Charles
Expert:  Charles replied 4 months ago.

Your welcome.