Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Raymarine RL80C 2004. The radar works fine, gps

Customer Question

I have a Raymarine RL80C 2004. The radar works fine, gps function does not perform. Is there a test for me to perform to check for the viability of the gps antenna. And if I need to replace the antenna, what antenna do I need? Please let me know. My e-mail address is***@******.***, and my phone number is(###) ###-####Thank you, Brian
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi Brian,

The only real test you can do is connect another chartplotter to your GPS antenna.

If it doesn't work either, the either the antenna has a fault or there is a problem with the wiring.

Sometimes these problems are just caused by a loose wire.

If it does turn out to be a fault with the antenna, then you can replace it with any NMEA GPS Antenna, e.g. the Raystar 130:

http://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-Raystar-130-GPS-Receiver/dp/B007TY0G54/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Pete,I appreciate your response. Outside of buying a new chart plotter to test the antenna, which isn't realistic, my thought was to disconnect the 4 cables from the dash unit. I think that the sea talk connection communicates with the gps antenna and if I knew which 2 of the 3 pins in the sea talk cable were connected to the antenna I could check the resistance to see if it is up to spec.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi Brian,

On the Raymarine. Orange is Rx Data +, Yellow is Rx Data -

Another test option would be to borrow a chartplotter from another sailor.