Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.

I Just bought a used 2007 boat with twin E80 displays . Radar

Customer Question

I Just bought a used 2007 boat with twin E80 displays . Radar works fine but I cant get a fix 0n either unit . there is an "east coast / canyons" card in one unit .
During the sea trial the unit showed the position of the boat and I created a track on a chart .
The night before I left I got a quick tutorial from an employee of the Marina and everything seemed to work fine . I could see the bot position on the screen .
But when I went to leave the marina the next morning, I could not get a FIX when I tried to activate GPS . In fact GPS Set up does not even appear on the MENU list .
I can not switch from CURSOR to SHIP .
Does the boat position show on a chart plotter without a GPS ? I don't see an antenna any where on the boat but I know something was working like a GPS during the sea trial. I currently outside the reach of that chart and I have to buy one for the Hudson River
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.In order for the unit to function as a chart plotter, it does need a GPS antenna. The one for your unit should look like the one in the link. If the unit worked during the sea trials, and does not now, look on the back side of the helm unit and see if there are any cut wires going to the E80. Your antenna could have been removed from your boat and you not know yet.