Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

Helix 5 sitting still depth reading is perfect. get up to 10

Customer Question

helix 5 sitting still depth reading is perfect. get up to 10 mph the depth reading jumps to some insane number. do I need to tilt transducer higher or lower? its on a pontoon boat
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Alan, my name is***** transducer needs to remain level. What is happening is the water flowing around the transducer is turbulent, and not smooth. This causes air to get caught up in the transducer. Sonar only works in water, not air. I'm assuming there is a bracket on the back of one of the tubes that the transducer is mounted to. What you want to do is mount the transducer as low as you can on that bracket. If it is at it's lowest point already what you would do next is go to a hardware store (home depot, lowes, ace etc) and get some aluminum stock. Mount the aluminum to the bracket, and mount the transducer to the aluminum stock. The transducer will have to be pretty close to the very bottom of the pontoons tubes in order to get it out of turbulent water. Does that make sense to you?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks exactly what my buddy told me. thanks to hear it from a pro
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
You are very welcome and I was glad I could help. I think we posted at exactly the same time so if you scroll up a bit you should see 1 more message from me. Please let me know if you have any problems when trying to select a rating for my service. Good luck and happy boating!Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. Thanks again,Jason