Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

I have 2005 SeaPro 2100 with 2005 Honda 225. Several years

Customer Question

I have 2005 SeaPro 2100 with 2005 Honda 225. Several years ago flipped on my wash down pump and had a brief electrical shut down. (The pump was frozen) Since that time, when I turn off my motor and again when I start my motor, all electricity to the rest of the boat shuts down. This results in a brief turn off of all working electronics (I.e. GPS turns off then on, VHS turns of then back on, sound system does same.) Prior to this event these occurrences did not happen. Had very reputable dealer look at it but did not find problem. I don't want to spend a ton on dealership labor if I can do some elimination work or solve the problem myself. Any suggestions on how or where to begin search? GPS is the only area that I would desperately like to correct due to lengthy boot up time.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is***** would start with the battery cables for the accessories. These are the black and the red # ***** battery wires for the accessories. These are the supply wires for the fuse panel for the accessories. Check all the grounds are clean and tight. Then check the red wire for an inline fuse. These are possible areas for corrosion which will cause symptoms like you are having. Remove the wires clean the connections and refasten with pliers or wrench. The inline fuse can corrode and cause intermittent voltage. The thing to do it turn on an accessory and wiggle these wires at the battery do you loose voltage.Check the the black and red wires at the fuse panel are clean and tight also. Post back with questions and findings.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will these wires originate at the starter battery (starboard aft location) or somewhere else? I assume they will terminate in the breaker panel in the center console.
Expert:  Tan replied 6 months ago.
Yes they will and terminate at the fuse panel at the console. If you have any corrosion or a bad fuse holder this can cause the exact issue you are having. What happens when you put a load on the circuit and the connections or fuse holder can handle the load and the voltage disappears.