Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.

I have a brand new Humminbird 798 ci HD unit that was professionally

Customer Question

I have a brand new Humminbird 798 ci HD unit that was professionally installed on my boat last week. The first time it was used, it took a long time to power on. Immediately after it powered, a gray screen started at the top and proceeded to move down the entire screen. The curser would not move, menu would not function and unit did not want to power down. What do we need to do to get it functioning? This happened each time we attempted to power up the unit.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.Make sure that the power connection is plugged into the unit the correct way. It will actually fit in to the plug when it is backwards. Remove the power cord from the holder. Then with it loose, plug it into the back of the unit and see of the power will function correctly. Do this with no other plugs on the unit. Then plug in one thing at a time and see if the unit will fail. If it does, you have a failed part.If the unit will not function still, download a software update from Humminbird and try to run it. Sometimes this will correct a nonfunctioning unit.