Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

I just bought a boat with a simrad cr44 and cp44. Both units

Customer Question

I just bought a boat with a simrad cr44 and cp44. Both units seem to operate fine except that they don't seem to know where the boat is. I'm in NC but the chart plotter keeps saying I'm in Norway. I would appreciate any help I can get because new electronics are not in this years budget.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. The CP44 and Simrad electronics in general is often used in Europe, so its being set to Norway means that's where your boat was last, probably.Either get the current location from the GPS functions, or else switch maps (the ones stored on the device).And, check the GPS antenna or GPS transponder connection... it might be loose or dirty/corroded/etc. Undo each connection to the GPS antenna, scrub each side with a clean dry brush, wipe down each side of the connection with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, and re-connection firmly.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the help Russell. I found the antenna wire was repaired before inside the pipe on the t-top and has a bad connection on the braided wire. I think it's the ground? When I put it back together temporary the unit worked perfectly. Is there a co-ax repair kit that I can purchase or do I need to replace the antenna and all? If so will any simrad gps antenna work or do I need a particular one. I think the electronics are 2004 same as the boat.
That's a shame to hear, that the coaxial was damaged and poorly repaired.If you think it is the ground that has a faulty connection, and it was repaired on that basis and worked perfectly, then I would not doubt it is the ground that was cut through. A co-axial repair would do... at the antenna end the cable doubtless has the center wire (signal) and the shield (ground) connected internally, and you would have to re-solder those two connections after un-soldered the old connections, to do a good repair on the coaxial cable on the antenna. But that's probably about it.Getting coaxial cable is another matter... it's sold in boxes containing several hundred feet of it, usually. Unless your antenna cable is hundreds of feet long, that would lead to wasting most of the box, unless you know someone who would have some use for it or have some use for additional coaxial yourself.