Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Just replaced my transducer and when you turn it on it reads

Customer Question

just replaced my transducer and when you turn it on it reads great for 15 seconds then it goes to 850 ft when your only in 30 ft
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. I would advise you first of all, to let me know what maker and model of transducer you have replaced the old transducer with.And, what problem made you replace the transducer. And, what equipment or MFD display the transducer is working with. (I can guess its a sonar transducer, of course.)This information will help me check on the compatibility of the transducer with the other equipment, in case it is needed. Also try this: go along the line of connections between the transducer and the MFD or other display device that the sonar transducer uses.Examine the full length of the cables for cuts, severe bending, and other damage to insulation or conductors.For each connection or plug-and-socket along the cables, undo one connection, scrub both sides of it with a clean dry brush for at least 20 seconds, then wipe each connector with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect firmly, then on to the next connection. See if that helps with the problem. And let me know about the points I mentioned, please.