Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I am installing an Raymarine EV-100 p70 wheel pilot pack and

Customer Question

I am installing an Raymarine EV-100 p70 wheel pilot pack and don't quite understand the connections. I have a connection from the compass which I can only assume uses one of the small seatalk connectors. I have plugged the black and white cable to the compass to the white connection on the connector and then have plugged a terminator to one of the blue ends and the long cable is routed back to the supplied 5 connector seatalk block. I think I wire one of the white connectors to power, one to the ACU-100 Actuator Control Unit, and one to the p70 control head. Then I wire another power connection to the ACU-100 Actuator Control Unit and one to the drive motor. That uses the three white connectors on the block and one blue one. The remaining blue one is terminated. Is this the correct configuration?
Finally I want to run a connector from my seatalk to my GPS with a NMEA 200 port. I see there are adaptor cables available. Does this plug into a white connector or to a blue connector. I need to know what to buy to connect my gps.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. SeaTalk must be terminated, yes. But two terminators need to be used, you know. Pretty much at each end of the network 'bus' or line of connections.The blue connectors on the backbone are for 'bus' connections - there can be devices strung along a line running off the blue. And ending with a terminator. But the white connectors are for 'spur' connections - one device only off each white connector. Corresponding white or blue cables are to be used. So the backbone is best used and placed where there are three SeaTalk -using devices close together near the middle of the network, and some devices in a line off each end of it.One of the white connectors to power? not that I know of. How would you be proposing to do that exactly, please tell, so that I may advise you further.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I misspoke. The power cable is red and black. It plugs into one of the spur sockets to power the backbone since the control unit, ACU-100, does not supply power to the network. The ACU-100 requires a separate connection. There is only one sentence in three books that actually confirms this. It seems they didn't supply a power cable for the ACU-100 so I'll need to chase one down. It also looks like I'll need to install separate fuses for the Seatalk and controller. From here I think I'm going to need to purchase an adapter cable to hook my Garmin to a spur connector and the pilot should be able to track a course plotted by the GPS. The thing that is so hard about this is they are sending out old documentation describing different products. One of the books says the system will only interace with NMEA 0183 networks while the controller which is new generation describes an adapter from NMEA 2000 to Seatalk with no additional components, just plug and play.
If your vendor or store didn't supply a power cable for the ACU-100, it should have. You might want to tell them about that. Adapters from NMEA 2000 (the newer standard) to SeaTalk would be as simple as that, most likely - plug-and-play. Your store, if they also sent out wrong documentation, sounds as if they don't need your patronage, and perhaps another vendor does.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Actually, I think the old documentation is coming from Raymarine. They should just eliminate the paper books. The technology is changing too fast to keep the paper straight. They could just provide an address for the documentation that matches the version of the product you purchased.Do you think my current understanding of the of the connections is correct?
Yes, I think so. If you need documentation, e.g. for the EV-100, then it's online here:http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=8239&collectionid=116&col=10463...see the 'folder' icons for the various parts' manuals. If this fully answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.