Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.
67216606

I have a TP 22 and I'm trying to hook it up to a Garman 740S

Customer Question

I have a TP 22 and I'm trying to hook it up to a Garman 740S so that I can use the navigation feature. I have attached the blue wire from TP22 to ground and the red wire from the TP 22 to the gray wire coming off the wiring harness for the Garmin 740s. It's not working. Any suggestions?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** will assist you.The red from the TP22 needs to go to the Blue on the 740. Also make sure that you have the NMEA 0183 output turned on in the 740 menu.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The blue is already connected to my AIS unit. I was trying to connect the autotiller to channel 2.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Did you try to operate the TP22 with the AIS off just to make sure that there was not any data mix-up on the network?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I just went out to the boat and disconnected the AIS. Still doesn't work. Please advise.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Does the 740 actually see the TP22. You should be able to go into network devices and see all devices on the network
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Did you look at the Network devices?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There is only a way to see the network devices if they are NIMEA 2000.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What is the next step?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have to head home. I'll look for your advice later.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
The 22 uses NMEA0183, you will need to go into the Garmin configure screen and set up the comm port 2. Make sure that the NMEA STD is selected for the communication. Then go into Configure> Communication>NMEA 0183 Set up> Diagnostics. This will allow you to see if the unit is communicating with the TP22.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I actually already tried this before I contacted you. The diagnostics function only shows streams that are received by the Garmin unit. Since the auto tiller is only in a listen only mode it does not send anything to the Garmin unit. What else do you suggest?
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
is the NMEA STD selected as the communications for comm 2? remember that I am not there to see your unit, so I need to ask.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Ok, the last thing that I can think of is to remove the AIS from comm port 1 and hook the TP22 to that port, and see if it will work. There may be an issue with the TP that is not allowing it to function correctly.