Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.
67216606

I have a Lowrance LMS-520c, the longitude and latitude are

Customer Question

I have a Lowrance LMS-520c, the longitude and latitude are not accurate. I can be in the bay and the unit shows that I am on land a few hundred yards away? I have had this unit since 2008 and no problems till last summer. I have reset several times.
Any ideas?
Paul in Houston
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Hello Paul,my name is***** will assist you.What GPS antenna are you using?How far in do you have your zoom setting?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Charles, I just got back in town. The antenna is the original factory antenna the unit came with. Always has worked till lately so we know that the antenna is the correct one. For the zoom setting, does not matter as I can zoom in and out and still not accurate.
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Do you know if you are using softare version 2.5.0?Which reset did you do? Hard or soft?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Charles, I am using the original software version that came with unit. Not sure if I did a hard or soft reset. What is the difference?
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
The difference between the two is the buttons that you hold when doing the reset. Also a hard reset will erase all waypoints and tracks. Sort of like formatting a disc or hard drive in your computer.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think this service is a rip off. You should of been able to answer this question by know!
Expert:  Charles replied 7 months ago.
Paul, it is hard for me to answer your question if I do not have all of the information from you. I am not there with you to see what you do or do not do, so the only info I have to go on is what you give me. So with that..If you do a hard reset, press and hold the zoom in and zoom out keys, while holding them, press and hold the power key. Release all buttons when the map of the USA appears. If that does not work. Update the software, if still the same, replace the antenna.