Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.

This Brad Rice, The Boatwright and my client has a 3 year

Customer Question

Hi, This Brad Rice, The Boatwright and my client has a 3 year old autopilot spx-5r and it is getting to a lot of play on the wheel and is making a clicking noise. Is there a safety problem? Can it be repaired? Should I buy a new one? and can I buy just the helm unit?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
Hi Brad, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Helm units should not click. If they are clicking the check valves/lock valves inside of the helm are bad, and that is the sound of the click. It definitely is a safety problem as the steering is going to eventually quit, and there is no telling exactly when it will happen. There is 1 company out there that does rebuild the units. There is obviously going to be some turn around time but you can contact a company called Boat Steer in Venice FL. Their number is(###) ###-####and they are open until 5 PM EST. They can rebuild the units for less than 1/2 the cost of new in most cases, so it's usually worth a shot to mail the helm out to them before deciding if you want to buy a new one or not. If you do want to buy a new helm unit you can buy just the helms. Here is a link to their website. Do you have any other questions on the issue?
Expert:  Jason replied 6 months ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The unit is a Raymarine SPX-5R Helm Mount Fixed Pilot, E12222 and is electric not hydraulic.
Expert:  Charles replied 6 months ago.
Hello Brad, my name is***** have a question back for you on your system. Can you tell if it is the SPX that is making the clicking noise or is it the boats helm unit? This noise would be louder from behind the console or wheel if this is a sailing rig.Please let me know which and we can move forward with your question.