Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

I have an Azimut 39' 2003 FLYBRIDGE that I just purchased.

Customer Question

I have an Azimut 39' 2003 FLYBRIDGE that I just purchased. It has 2 helm stations. I am considering replacing some or all of the electronic. I would like to know how much of the existing wiring will be compatible with the new equipment; the cost for labor for each component, the approximate hours for installation and what the benefits of the upgrade would be and if you think they would offer substantial enough improvements in performance to justify the cost of replacement.
Current equipment:
Raymarine RL80
Raymarine RL70
ST40 Depth Finder
ST 5000 Autopilot
I would like to replace the MFDs with Raymarine es129
replacing the autopilot with a digital evolution series
Upgrading the depth finder
Upgrading the Raymarine RADAR RECEIVER with their new Bluetooth model.
If I only upgraded the MFDs, would all my present components plug in easily to these new units and work efficiently?
Last, the boat has an older KVH DISH. What would be required to convert it to HD?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hello Ciro
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
It will depend on what is currently in the boat - does it have the original Simrad system, or has a different system already been installed? The job will likely need to be evaluated by a marine electronics engineer first-hand.Costs will also vary around the world - what part of the world are you in, and where are you considering getting the work done?The cost of options and the need for complex cabling will increase with the number of peripherals to be networked. As a guide, a typical electronics refit on a boat of this size carried out in the Florida area costs in the region of $10,000 depending on the amount of rewiring and labor involved.You will need to carefully consider the value, cost savings and reliability that come from refurbishment.
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi, just checking in on your question. How did things turn out for you?