Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

I'm troubleshooting a Yamaha F60 outboard (2010) that lost

Customer Question

I'm troubleshooting a Yamaha F60 outboard (2010) that lost power between terminal block and the engine harness. At the console terminal bus I have 12.45V but I get no power to trim or ignition (nothing when I turn key). Fuses all checked and I jumpered NSS for the moment. How can I bypass (test) ignition and kill switch (apply 12v to yellow for example?)
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Hi Ed, my name is***** like you have a bad harness. The first thing to do is figure out if it is the engine harness or the extension harness. Go back to the engine and disconnect the extension harness from the engine harness, and then probe the engine harness on the red wire and let me know if you have power there.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not finding power in the engine harness at any point (and I'm pretty well versed with a multimeter). The Batt harness terminates at bus then splits off multiple directions. I'm assuming the kill switch or ignition is bad but how can I jumper ignition/kill for testing purposes?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Do late model Yamaha's have any other safteys besides NSS and fuses?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Are you getting power to the key switch on the red wire?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Next test would be to hold the key to start and check for voltage on the brown wire. Are you getting 12V on the brown wire with the key held to start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The Marina was closing so I had to leave the boat but will check brown tomorrow. If you could summarize what I should check after brown, I'll mark it answered and do my best in the AM to isolate. Thanks Jason!
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Let me ask you another question. Does the boat have gauges on it? If yes, do the gauges come alive when you turn the key to run?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes the gauges come alive and when I turn the key, the amp gauge moves as it normally would.
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
Good morning and sorry for the delay, we all do this on the side. When you had last replied last night I was already off to bed. The flow of power for the start circuit on this engine runs from the key switch, through the neutral switch in the shifter, and then down to the starter relay on the engine. You have power at the key switch, so what you want to do next is hold the key to start, and check for power out of the brown wire (the brown is the start wire). If you do not have a good 12V, replace the key switch. If you do, move down to the starter relay on the engine and check for power on the brown wire there (again with the key held to start). If you have 12V there, the starter relay is bad. If you do not have 12V there, the neutral switch is bad. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Jason replied 7 months ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason