Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

St 6001 Auto helm randomly will trip out to message "Sea talk

Customer Question

st 6001 Auto helm randomly will trip out to message "Sea talk failure" and shut down all three cockpit insrtuments, i can go to switch board and turn off then back on a couple of times and they will come back online, or when frustrated i can slap the fibre glass instrument pod and they will also come back on line, any clues befor i break a bone in my hand, lol
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. A defective cable could be causing the problem. Think back, though: have any cables to instruments been yanked on, e.g. by being tripped over or caught on something, and pulled hard on a jack on one of those instruments? in such a case, the jack can be broken slightly loose of its soldered mountings and wire connections inside the module, and that could be the source of the problem, esp. a problem that jarring the instruments seems to fix. Unless you can remember clearly such incidents of strain to cabling or to instrument jacks, this sort of problem can be rather laborious to find the problem with... it's a matter of try and try again and swapping in replacements. (Or, if you can run the setup in any way without one of the instruments, of taking one instrument out of the setup temporarily to test whether all the others + their cabling works fine.) SeaTalk is (in case you aren't clear on this - and if you are, I apologize) a network protocol for Raymarine instruments, and also cabling and interfaces or adapters for SeaTalk (SeaTalk hardware in short, as well as the networking protocol.) So that error references interfaces and cabling and networking specifically, of course. Need further information? let me know.If this completely answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks.