Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Lowrance Elite-4-HDI Has had a habit of freezeing the sonar.

Customer Question

Lowrance Elite-4-HDI Has had a habit of freezeing the sonar. By turning the unit off and reboot it would come good. Today after operating for aprox 15 minutes while in the menu section it started a long high pitched niose that wouldn't stop. It also froze. So I turned the power off as I couldn't shut it done. now when you turn it on the lowrance screen comes up and then the screen goes black or blank. But the unit appears to be operating as the alarms etc seem to be working and it makes normal sounds when buttons are pressed.But still has a blank screen.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ron,A weakened transducer or bad connection to it is likely the cause of your problem. Sometimes the cables can become corroded or loose, so check those carefully first. Over time, the sonar transducer will gradually get weak, rather than just completely failing all at once. If the cables check out ok, then either borrow another transducer and plug it in, or swap units with another vessel to determine if you have a faulty Lowrance unit or a faulty transducer. The amplifier in the unit can go bad as well, but it is rare.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Pete thanks for your quick attention its only been in the boat 5 weeks and the other boat 12 months. For your info I researched how to do a reset on it . The reset fixed its problem its up and going again
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.
Hi Ron,Glad to hear you got it sorted!Have a great day,Pete.