Joe
Joe, Marine Electronics Installer
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

, Flicking on bow mounted HDS 12 Gen 3 when pumps come

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Flicking on bow mounted HDS 12 Gen 3 when pumps come on. Other units at console do not. I think it do to wire ga. I have 16ga all wire directly to cracking battery. Thinking about putting in 12ga to the front or is 10ga better.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Electronics Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Generally this is related to a bad/poor connection, sometimes can be excessive draw beyond what battery can handle but is usually not the case.

The best way for set up is one cranking battery for motor only and the other a house battery for all electronics ran to a dual battery switch. It's also best to use an buss bar/block with only a single lead to the battery instead of all connecting at the battery.

Flickering could be a loss of power or ground due to loose connections or poor and or bad wiring. For wiring you have to consider length for voltage drop: http://www.bulkwire.com/wireresistance.asp

Another great one is the 12v bible: http://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Bible-Boats-Miner-Brotherton/dp/0071392335

One way to check your wiring is to connect directly to the battery and see if it still has the problem as well as checking the connector for corrosion or loose.

Note that the battery should be professionally load tested as well.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.