Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a 8m centre console fishing boat fitted with a Furuno

Customer Question

I have a 8m centre console Hooker fishing boat fitted with a Furuno FCV 585 Sounder and a GP 7000 GPS unit. I have chosen to install a auto pilot unit to the vessel which is powered by twin 175HP 4 Stroke Outboards. Could you please provide advise as to the best easy to operate unit suitable for this application? It would be my preference to stick with Furuno, having said this the size of the unit is important as I have limited space available on the console.
I look forward to hearing back from you shortly.
Regards,
Bill.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What autopilot module to choose, depends upon what drive units they control. Otherwise known as drive motors, these take signals from little electronic modules and/or display units, and move the tiller forcibly as the module or display commands.

The standard Furuno autopilot nowadays is the model 711C. Be it noted, this requires HRP11 or HRP17 Pump and FPS8 Power Steering Module(s), as options. ('Pump' often is used to refer to the motor that moves the tiller at direction.)

I don't know if you have those (pump(s) or power steering motor) yet, or not. Here's the advertising-and-breakdown on the 711C:

http://www.furuno.com/special/en/navpilot/

- Does that look like what you want and could use? I think the broader bigger of the two display modules shown might even be a handheld or 'remote'. But the smaller, a square-shaped display module, is probably the one you would have to mount in the control console.

- and, do you have the drive motors (or 'pump') listed as required options for the 711C ?