Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a lowrance elite 4 sounder I was using the sounder

Customer Question

I have a lowrance elite 4 sounder I was using the sounder yesterday and it was working fine I turned the unit off while fishing when I turned the unit back on the normal lowrance screen was fine but after the start screen the unit went very dim and you couldn't make out what was on the screen. Do you know what may be the problem.
Category: Marine Electronics
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The unit stays on but the screen is dark unable to see what is on the screen.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I would say that your Lowrance device's screen has one problem out of two possible cases:

1. it never lights up again. That would mean the backlight has failed. Servicing of the device will be necessary in that case.

or

2. it lights up again, but only when first started up, as you have described, only lighting up for the Start screen. That means the backlight still works, but is being turned Off by some setting - or doubtfully, by some electronic failure that only shows up when the circuitry has warmed up a little.

Let me know - after turning the device Off, and waiting at least 15 minutes, then turning it On again and seeing whether it lights up once more - which of these two cases is the problem, and I will advise you further as appropriate.