Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Raymarine E120 on my boat and the backlight gets

Customer Question

I have a Raymarine E120 on my boat and the backlight gets dim in about an hour. After I charge my batteries again the display is brighter but not the full brightness it used to be. The boat is about 8 years old and I recently replaced the acc battery. The marina I go to checked the wiring again and says everything is hooked up right. What should I do?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When the backlight gets dim, check the power supplied voltage at the Raymarine device's power terminals. See if it has gotten low.

If it hasn't, then you have a problem internal to the Raymarine device, with the backlight or the support circuitry for the backlight.

How old is the Raymarine E120 in question ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The E120 is around 8 years old. When you talk about the Raymarine's power terminals, is there a way to check voltage at the back of the E120 or somewhere else? I think the power comes into the back of the E120 via three prong plug. Would I unplug that and test it somehow?

I was thinking that testing the power under load, as close to the E120 as possible, would be best.

But test the power generally in the outlet the E120 is plugged into, if that's what you can get done.