Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Im wayne, I have a navnet 3d that wont acquire satellite

Customer Question

Customer: Im wayne, I have a navnet 3d that wont acquire satellite signal, did a master reboot, but still no signal. Last time out it would lose signal , and would come and go .
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Checked the wiring from the gps antenna , all looks great. I've had this boat for a couple of years now, also noticed the vhf does not give a fix of position now either with the navnet down
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Marine Electronics Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can, I WORK FOR THE MILITARY
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think that a summary of the information you have given so far indicates that either the GPS antenna for satellite signal is inoperative, or else the Navnet 3D is defective.

But check the wiring to the satellite/GPS antenna again: all along its full length, looking for signs of strain, severe bending, cuts, etc.

And take the connection from the GPS antenna apart, and scrub both sides of the connection with a clean dry brush, for over 20 seconds each, then wipe both sides down with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect firmly.

Thank you for waiting - I appreciate the hurry-up-and-wait factor, having dealt with military of various departments in my time.

If the VHS does not show a fix of position, does it work off the same antenna as the Navnet 3D ? or is it rather, getting a signal either from its own antenna, or passed on to it from the Navnet? the wiring and connections ought to indicate which.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vhf is tied to the gps antenna , it fails when the navnet does as well. Is an update available for the navnet that would correct the problem ?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I suggest two tests:

1. disconnect the GPS antenna connection from the VHF radio. Connect it only to the Navnet device. See if the Navnet device gets a lock/fix on satellites and gets a GPS position.

2. then disconnect the GPS antenna connection from the Navnet device. Connect it back up to *only* the VHF radio. See if the VHF radio can use it.

There are four possible outcomes:

A. that neither 1 nor 2 work.

B. that 1 works and 2 doesn't.

C. that 1 doesn't work, and 2 does.

D. that both work! when they are not connected up together both at once.

A: means that the antenna is at fault, period. (Or maybe the wiring, somehow. But you've checked it.)

B: means the antenna, and the Navnet, are OK, but either the VHF hookup has something wrong with it, or the VHF radio's tuner is no good, or that the VHF radio's tuner loads down or grounds out or otherwise inhibits the GPS antenna's function.

C: means the same only for the Navnet being defective, not the VHF radio.

D: means... they can't both work (off this same antenna) at once, but all components are OK otherwise.

(Also B might mean the antenna is somehow incompatible (rather than 'broken') for the VHF radio, and C might mean the antenna is somehow incompatible (not broken) with the Navnet. But if the same antenna has worked before with either or both, then it is compatible with them most likely, even now.)