Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Navman Trackfish 6500. The backlight screen is not

Customer Question

I have a Navman Trackfish 6500. The backlight for the screen is not working. Where can I get the parts necessary to fix it.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

Backlights may go out simply because they have 'burnt out'.

But, sometimes it's either the connection (wiring, connectors) to the power that drives them that is at fault... or, the power supply that goes through that wiring and those connectors, is not being provided. Checking both, by eye and by voltmeter, would be ideal.

Also, without a part # ***** the backlight, it will be difficult to find it. So taking out the defective backlight (if genuinely defective, it's of no use where it is and taking it out won't hurt the device at all, provided you disassemble and reassemble it propery with care etc.), and getting what numbers off it you can - as well as the chance to inspect it and see if it looks defective, broken, or burnt out - would be a good start to the repair process.

The search for a part is always best done with part # ***** part #s in-hand. Let me know what number you get off the backlight, and how it looks, and (if you can) what testing with a voltmeter shows for the wiring and power supplied to the backlight, and I will assist and advise you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Russell H. You were right on the money. Following your suggestions helped me to locate the back light tube. It is broken away at the connection socket. It is a very thin white fluorescent tube the only goes half way around outer part of the glass. I can't find a parts number anywhere on or around the outside of the unit.
Thanks again for any suggestion you my have.
***** *****
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If it only goes halfway around, check that there isn't another similar one on the other side, just to be sure.

If it has no part #s, you will have to take the unit to a repair shop, to even determine the part # ***** I'm sorry to have to say it, but that's the truth: the part # ***** ***** available online that I can find, etc. I've done the searching and found nothing, not even expired sales or eBay postings.

To find a repair shop authorized for your unit, you could call 1-***-***-****... which is Navico N.A.'s Tech / Customer Support line. They might be able to give you a part # ***** the backlight first, so ask for that first.

And/or give me your zip code, and I will search for nearby authorized repair shops in your vicinity.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Russell H.. My zip code is 77573.
***** *****
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

It seems - though the trail is not clear on this - that Navman devices have no local repair sites, but you may have to choose to send it off to Europe/UK, or even Australia. I could find no confirmed USA service that does repairs on Navman marine electronics. This looks about the best of the send-it-off services, but being UK it might not accept your unit, so check first, of course:

http://satnavrepairservice.com/repair-satnav/navman-repair/14.html

and then there this (also UK/Europe, so the same cautions apply):

http://www.cetrek.com/

Note: your local shop said 'Northstar' is out of business. Well... I don't know what Northstar has to do with a Navico or Navman product, but here's Northstar's support page:

http://www.northstarnav.com/Support/

and (possibly a different Northstar) is at 1-***-***-****, and they repair marine electronics, their web *page* says.

Good luck.