Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a ST60 wind instrument on my boat. It is the one

Customer Question

I have a ST60 wind instrument on my boat. It is the one which shows wind direction and wind speed. It was installed 5 years ago. The wind direction display seems to be fairly accurate relative to a windex at the top of mast and burgees that fly off the mast. The wind speed indicator registers [ - - ]. I have never calibrated the unit and am not sure if the company that installed it did a calibration. I have read on-line blogs that suggest one test the signal coming into the unit - but I am not electically inclined so I need instructions on how to do such. I have also seen that a complete user calibration must be done for the wind speed to work. Again can someone advise on how to do this if that is what is necessary. Finally, if neither of those are remedies for my "lack of speed reading" please let me know what I can do..
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Wind speed is supposed to be indicated, period. If you are getting no wind speed reading, then you have either a defective wind vane, or a connection problem.

To address the connection problem (if there is one) trace the line from the ST60, looking for cuts, strains, breaks, etc. along its entire length, then disconnect the connectors on that line from the ST60 to the wind vane, one by one, brushing off each side of the connection with a clean dry stiff brush, and wipe the connection down with a clean dry rag cloth, then re-connect firmly, and on to the next conector (if there is more than one) and treat any other connectors on the line similarly.