Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

How do you hook up the wiring from a Garmin 741xs

Customer Question

How do you hook up the wiring from a Garmin 741xs Chartplotter to a Floscan fuel monitoring system?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I may be helped in answering your question adequately and correctly, by knowing what model of Floscan you have.

But if your Floscan is a model 7000 series, for instance, then I have to say that there may be no way to connect it to your Garmin device. It is not listed as having an interface (e.g. NMEA type) to any other device, just as being engine mounted or engine-connected (as is, obviously, necessary).

The Garmin device you have, is pretty capable of displaying engine data. But: does it have NMEA connectors or ports on it? other than NMEA, it has Bluetooth and WiFi connectibility capability... it can do Bluetooth and WiFi to other devices... but, the Floscan (model 7000) apparently has no such capability.

You would need a Floscan - or some other vaguely similar device - with NMEA or with WiFi or Bluetooth interfacing capability, to connect the tachometer/fuel-meter/etc. to the Garmin device.

Let me know what model of Floscan you have. Or what you might need further in the way of advice for this question. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The model of Floscan I have is series 9000 Gas-NMEA 0183 input. And my Garmin doesn't have the ports but it has extra wires coming out of the power cable.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

What wires come out of the power cable? number of wires, color of wires, and how thick they are or their 'gauge'.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Garmin GPS map 741xs has two internal NMEA 0183 ports. The blue wire is internal port 1tx, the brown wire is internal port 1rx (in), grey wire is port 2tx (out) and violet wire is port 2 rx (in). What color wire would NMEA & BNC center terminal on GPS be? The white/orange wire from the flowscan hooks to this. What is NMEA ( - ) BNC shield terminal on GPS? Is it a ground on GPS or a color coded wire? The green/black wire from the flowscan hooks to this.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I would give you the information, but Garmin does not have the model # ***** stated

741xs

though Garmin does have information on the similar model #s:

7410xsv

and

741

and

721xs

so please - to obviate my giving out incorrect information owing to any confusion as to model #s - double-check the real model # ***** from the inscription on the manufacturer's label, and let me know what it is. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's what it is listed as in the west marine catalog, as well as on the unit itself. I've attached pics for you to see. I'm not sure what else I can give you. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry also here is a couple pics of the back of the unit.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If I cannot find information on that model #, I may be unable to provide authoritative info on it, I'm sorry to say - but now that is confirmed, and with the additional information, I will do more research and see what I can find that is definitively correct.

(This may take quite some time, so don't wait for my next posting - it may be tomorrow sometime. ... I have other cases to take care of today and tomorrow morning, you see.)

(Thank you again for the effort of getting that info and those photos to me.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem thanks a lot , look forward to hearing back from you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here is some additional info that may help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just checking , are you still working on this?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, here I am.

Your Garmin 741xs is better known as a 'GPSMap 741xs'.

Garmin's own page on this device says it has NMEA 2000 connectivity, i.e. it has no NMEA 0183 ports.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/fishfindergpscombos/gpsmap-741xs/prod119867.html

The Floscan 9000-series has a NMEA 0183 input (not output) and then the Garmin GPSMap 741xs has NMEA 2000 ports. To connect one to the other you will need an NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 converter, such as this one, for instance:

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|344|2028705|2028879&id=2006001

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

This is based on presuming that your Floscan series 9000 is this device:

http://www.floscan.com/html/blue/seriesdetail.php?sid=13&catid=2