Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Furuno FCV-620/585. The water temp/speed display

Customer Question

I have a Furuno FCV-620/585. The water temp/speed display never worked. We recently replaced the Thru-hull Sensor with a Model ST 850 and installed it correctly. The data is not being displayed although a box is displayed and it indicates a space for temperature and speed to be displayed.
The last course of action now is to replace the Y-connector- thinking that it might not properly feed the data to the unit.
The transducer is working just fine. Any suggestions on how to approach this?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I think you should take apart each connector involved in the signal train (from the ST850 to the Furuno display device) one by one - brush each connector, both sides of the connection with a clean dry brush, then wipe the metal down with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect firmly.

Corrosion on connections, in a marine electronics context, can be very important to the non-function of devices - so such routine maintenance can do a lot for a non-working device, on occasion.

After that... yes, if devices at both ends aren't communicating, swapping out another element in the linkup between them, makes sense.

As for "the Y-connector" - I don't see your setup, I don't know about what's hooked up to what, so I really cannot advise on that detail, until I get the whole picture, or at least more of the whole picture.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks.