Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

I recently purchased a Lowrance Elite 4hdi fishfinder to use

Customer Question

I recently purchased a Lowrance Elite 4hdi fishfinder to use on my kayak. I've used it a few times and it worked great. My last trip after running appx 20 minutes the unit shut itself off. When I turned it back on it stayed on for maybe two minutes then shtoff again. I've tried to use it since with the same outcome. The battery is fully charged. The unit is still under warranty. Do you have any sugestions?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the trouble.

First, let me say "interesting application" - to have this unit in a kayak.

But that brings up a couple of questions

1) What size (capacity) battery you are using to power the system?

2) Do you have an ACTIVE battery monitor - showing the voltage and remaining capacity of the battery - when this device is in use?

3) Is the battery being used for ANYTHING else (such as a small trolling motor, etc.)?

I ask these questions because it "sounds like" the battery voltage is dropping down to a low level - causing the device to shut off.

Please let me know what you have for a power system and specifically if you have a monitor on the battery AND its condition (age, number of charge cycles, etc.).

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)