Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My heading reads 180deg off mag. How do I correct?

Customer Question

My heading reads 180deg off mag.
How do I correct for this?
Dick
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dick,
What is the model number of your system, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is T103.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is called the Micronet.
It consists of three display units.
It has a hull transducer and a masthead wind transmitter.It was installed by a previous owner. It has seen little use and looks to be in excellent condition.
The only problem Inhave is the HEADING readout is the reciprocal of me actual compas heading.
How do I fix that? It seems like it should be an easy fix.
Help!
Dick
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Peter
I am waiting for you help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm still waiting for your help.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is***** Pete has Opted Out of this case, apparently, so I wish to try to help you myself instead, if I may.
You have a Raymarine T103 two-line display hooked up to a sonar transducer and a wind vane system (and presumably, since your question is about heading) a compass.
There are two main possibilities here, as I see it:
1: your compass heading as displayed is steady, but always wrong.
or
2: your compass heading as displayed is steady, but always 180 degrees wrong.
It sounds as if (2) is what you are reporting.
Please tell me what autocompass you have, hooked up to the Micronet and to the T103 display.
If you are not sure, please trace the wiring to it, either from the Micronet (which I do understand, contains a wireless link, so the compass may not be physically connected to the T103 display) or from the T103 if that is how it is connected.
Trace the wiring to the autocompass, making sure there are no breaks, cuts, strains, severe bending, etc. along the line. Then disconnect the autocompass from the (Micronet, or the T103, wherever its line goes) with the power to the system Off, and brush off the connector, on both sides of the connection, with a clean dry brush, then wipe the connectors down with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect the connectors firmly.
Power On the system, and then see if the heading indication is correct. If it still is wrong, you may have to check the wireless link of the Micronet ultimately to the T103, and make sure that is working, esp. if the heading information is invariant and non-responsive to changes in actual heading.
Ultimately you might have a defective autocompass. But let me know what you find out and I will advise you further as appropriate.