Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have twin e120 units and the vessel icon just locked in

Customer Question

I have twin e120 units and the vessel icon just locked in facing east all the time, not relative motion
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Check the connection to your fluxgate compass. Without compass data, the e120 won't know which way the vessel is facing.
Once the fluxgate compass is connected for sure (undo the connection, if there is one already, and brush both sides off with a clean dry brush, then wipe the metal off with a clean dry rag cloth until the metal shines, then re-connect the connection firmly...), use the 'align heading' setting, and swing the vessel around in a circle, to set the orientation of the icon in the e120 correctly.
Note that a GPS cannot provide heading information, by and large.