Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Raymarine Bidata sound but It's doesn't seem to

Customer Question

Hello Michael,
I have a Raymarine Bidata sound but It's doesn't seem to work.
It doesn't give me any readings of depth. First appears the word "depth" on the display and then stats to blink with no sound readings.
Is there any possible solution?
THX
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do what I can to provide the right answer to your question.

First, yes, there is a solution to that problem. Possible, or probable, is the nature of the solution I propose.

In outline, you need to check - and, clean - the connection to your sonar transceiver or 'sounder'.

Here's how to do the task:

1. Turn the equipment Off. Then trace the entire length of the connection from the Bidata to the sonar transceiver. Look for any sign of severe bends, strain, cuts, and other damage.

2. examine the sonar transceiver in its mounting (whether through-hull or in-hull mounting type.) Has it been shaken loose? or worse, is water leaking through around it (if it is a through-hull type) ?

Think back and recollect whether there has been a collision or grounding, however minor or major, that might have damaged the sonar transceiver.

3. then undo the connections (one at a time, only) from the Bidata to the sonar transceiver. Brush each side of each connection, jack and plug both, with a clean dry brush, thoroughly. Then wipe each side of the connection with a clean dry rag cloth, until the metal shines. This eliminates the corrosion that is so common in maritime or other sailing environments.

4. then re-connect the connection firmly. (And if there is another, go on to the next.)

Try the equipment again after that.

Let me know the result, please, whether favorable or otherwise, in Reply. I offer further advice as needed, and I like to hear if my advice has had a good result (or even, if there's a good result from other means!) Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I'll do it. I'll let you knoq the results. Thx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello rusell, thanx for the tutorial but this stubborn sonar still doesn't want to work. It is still blinking.
Which are the next steps?
Waitimg for you answer.
Thank you very much
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry to hear the (lack of) result, but glad you tried it out.

Often the problem is corrosion or dirt on the contacts of the connection, but sometimes there's a genuine 'breakage'. Next question, then, is:

- how old is the transceiver?

- any collisions or groundings?

- how old is the Raymarine Bidata? and has it gotten lots of sun, where it is, and in a warmer climate e.g. California, Florida/Gulf Coast/Texas/Georgia/South Carolina ?