Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Garmin 4000ST. will not stay "on Course" Either on just

Customer Question

Garmin 4000ST. will not stay "on Course" Either on just heading, or on Nav-course.)
What can it be, can it be repaired.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Either the Autohelm is failing, or else the steering arms that it directs or drives are having problems.
Check all connections, undo connections, scrub with a clean dry brush, wipe until the metal shines with a clean dry rag cloth, and re-connect firmly.
Note that overheating of the steering arms might be occurring, or of the drive electronics owing to overload (and, of course, owing to their having to work harder owing to progressive failure.) And that might be why the Autohelm is going to Standby.
Your steering system either needs some or else a lot of it replaced (the expensive approach) or to have an experienced shop look over the components and try to find out and fix whichever part of it is really having the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Tomorrow I will do what you are suggesting above, and let you know the results. Really looking forward to making this fix.
How do I get back to you withought all the zig-zag-ing steps

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/98k3q-tomorrow-will-suggesting-above-let.html#ixzz3i24vos93

Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

When you wish to get back to this case, go to this URL, the page devoted to your question and all postings made to it to-date:

http://www.justanswer.com/marine-electronics/98ghw-garmin-4000st-will-not-stay-on-course-either-just-head.html

I hope that the procedures suggested will help. Let me know how it goes, in Reply to this, at your convenience. Thanks.