Joe
Joe, Marine Electronics Installer
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I just had a windlass installed the hot lead was fastened to

Customer Question

I just had a windlass installed the hot lead was fastened to the starter lug so it uses my 1000 amp starter battery; my raymarine dragonfly is attached to the accessory fuse panel under my dash. now when I accelerate my fishfinder/gps blacks out and has to be restarted. the windlass and fishfinder are running from 2 separate batteries so wouldn't they be isolated from each other? I've never had this problem until the windlass was installed. I haven't used my windlass yet so the problem may be unrelated. usually fishfinders blackout from a voltage spike would accelerating over 3000 rpm produce a voltage spike? Any ideas would be helpful.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
Honestly that is not how it should be installed, it'd work so long as the circuit can handle it but it is not a correct installation, the power for your windlass should go directly to either a positive buss bar, battery switch or directly to the battery and a breaker all depending on what application you have. There is honestly no reason I can think of to attach things to a starter lug in this case. Now, so long as the circuit can handle it, then it wouldn't hurt either, just in my personal professional opinion, there is no reason for that and not how I would ever wire/install one.
The most likely cause is a loose connection for the fishfinder. It's possible that something was bumped and the connection is now loose, when accelerating there is movement and thus the problem. This could simply be something loose causing loss of power or ground or could be a short. This could also just be a coincidence and it started the problem at the same time still most likely being though a connection issue.
Check where your fishfinder/console power comes from for loose connections, check if anything else and or everything else on that same fuse panel has the same problem which would indicate the problem pre fuse panel, if not then it is at or after the fuse panel or the ground.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.