Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My humminbird 797ciHD indicates GPS is not connected. Is there

Customer Question

my humminbird 797ciHD indicates GPS is not connected. Is there a button I need to push to get it to operate again or is it broken?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Superficially and at first thought, it might be the GPS antenna that is broken, not the Humminbird. If the GPS antenna were broken and providing no signal, then the Humminbird would correctly indicate no connection. But: Connections on a boat can need the following checks and treatments:1. check the entire length of the cable to the GPS antenna, for strains, cuts, or other faults evident to the eye.2. undo the cable to the GPS antenna, from the Humminbird, and brush off both sides of the connection (on the Humminbird device's jack, and on the cable's jack or plug also) with a clean dry brush. 3. then wipe both sides of the connection, jack and the plug for it, with a clean dry cloth, until the metal shines. Then re-connect firmly. And turn the Humminbird device on, wait a bit, and try again. After that, if the problem is unchanged, you may have either a bad GPS Antenna port on the Humminbird, or a defective GPS antenna. (If the GPS antenna has never worked before with the Humminbird, you might want to check whether it is compatible or not, with the Humminbird device. Sometimes antennas aren't compatible, you see. But that's an afterthought.)